I’m excited to host the fabulous Mindy McGinnis on my blog today with a guest post!
Release Date: September 24, 2013
Title: Not a Drop to Drink
Author: Mindy McGinnis
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Available: Barnes and Noble
From the Publisher: Regret was for people with nothing to defend, people who had no water.
Lynn knows every threat to her pond: drought, a snowless winter, coyotes, and, most importantly, people looking for a drink. She makes sure anyone who comes near the pond leaves thirsty, or doesn't leave at all.
Confident in her own abilities, Lynn has no use for the world beyond the nearby fields and forest. Having a life means dedicating it to survival, and the constant work of gathering wood and water. Having a pond requires the fortitude to protect it, something Mother taught her well during their quiet hours on the rooftop, rifles in hand.
But wisps of smoke on the horizon mean one thing: strangers. The mysterious footprints by the pond, nighttime threats, and gunshots make it all too clear Lynn has exactly what they want, and they won’t stop until they get it….
With evocative, spare language and incredible drama, danger, and romance, debut author Mindy McGinnis depicts one girl’s journey in a barren world not so different than our own.
Guest Post by Mindy McGinnis
Whenever I’m asked to write about 10 Things You Don’t know About… anything related to me, I find myself in a pickle. That’s mostly because I talk – a lot and loudly – about pretty much everything in my world. And that covers both the real one and the slightly skewed ones I make up in my head. Just ask my poor friends, who picked me up expecting a girl’s night and ended up being regaled about the history of criminal profiling and the results of frontal lobotomies.
But, I shall wade valiantly into this fray and see if I can’t toss together a solid 10 things I haven’t already forced a lot of people to hear concerning my debut, Not A Drop to Drink.
- Not A Drop to Drink is pretty much set in my backyard. I have a pond, but as I am quick to assure everyone – I haven’t shot anyone. Yet.
- Not A Drop to Drink was the intended and original title of the book from inception to publication. I’m one of the few authors who get to keep their title.
- I wrote the flap copy (the inside dust jacket synopsis) myself! Usually the editor and/or marketing people are responsible for this, but I asked if I could take a stab at it. Everyone at Harper Collins/Katherine Tegen books has been really supportive and awesome!
- The deer-gutting scene is written from personal experience.
- Water witching, or dousing, is a very common practice and while it’s not entirely understood, it is not viewed as a paranormal phenomenon. Dousing is about being in tune with nature, not the otherworldly.
- I don’t plot when I write, I simply let the story tell itself. One major event that takes place in the book completely came out of the blue. You’ll know it when you see it. I didn’t mean for her to do that. She chose to.
- I don’t describe my characters, and that’s something some people will love and some people will hate. I specifically make the decision to not include these details so that my readers can imagine themselves as the characters, or see them however they choose.
- I knew the first and last line of this book before I started it. The in between bits were work.
- The girl walking away from the camera at the final shot in the official trailer is my cousin.
- There’s a typo in my first edition finished copies! I’m not telling where!
What a great list! Thanks for stopping by Mindy!
The Tour Schedule
9/16/2013-Melissa’s Eclectic Bookshelf –Interview
9/17/2013- Never Too Fond of Books– Guest Post
9/18/2013- A Book and a Latte– Guest Post
9/19/2013- Books Complete Me– Review
9/20/2013- The Eater of Books!– Interview
9/23/2013- Readers in Wonderland– Review
9/24/2013- Books Over Boys– Guest Post
9/25/2013- Reading and Writing Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, and Romance – Guest Post
9/26/2013- Falling For YA– Review
9/27/2013- Some Like It Paranormal – Interview